Short Summary: The Finance & Operations Associate position is a critical role in the organization. As we're a small team, you'll be a Jack/Jill of all trades to start. You'll help us lead new growth initiatives, coordinate global production and vendor relationships, and help keep the shop running smoothly as we scale and execute on growth initiatives. You'll work closely with the company’s leadership on a daily basis. Our hope is to groom this person into a Sr. Finance & Operations Manager role within 18-24 months.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $60,000
Job Description & Responsibilities:
- Assist with new collection launches (usually 2-3 times a year) and product launches from end to end: preparation of assets (image, video, copy), design of marketing materials, capacity planning with suppliers, fulfillment, etc.
- Coordinate our supply chain and make sure we can keep pace with demand. Lead inventory purchasing and financing activities in coordination with Revenue division.
- Identify ways to optimize our supply chain from a cost and lead time perspective.
- Assist with management of vendor relationships (warehouse, materials suppliers, factories, packaging suppliers, etc.).
- Assist Operations team with new international growth initiatives and rapid expansion.
- Assist with updating P&L, cash flow, budget, and other financial forecast models, as well as inventory-level forecasts.
- Help prepare month-end commentary on variances between forecasts and actuals.
- Assist the Finance function and coordinate monthly book closes, FP&A, financial modeling, fulfillment and negotiation of debt/loan obligations, and vendor audits.
- Assist/coordinate efforts in: customer support, HR, FP&A, product development and various administrative matters.
This role is ideal for new college graduates (preferably in finance or similar fields) interested in a hands-on operations and finance role in a rapidly scaling e-commerce company.
Previous experience in retail or merchandising is not required, but candidate should be interested in learning all things e-commerce fast.
- 1-2 years of experience in either e-commerce companies or banking/consultancy firms.
- Analytical skills are absolutely imperative. You should feel very comfortable in Excel and be able to make business decisions based on numbers.
- Experience working in high performance teams under intense pressure.
- Excellent communicator; “can-do” attitude; doing whatever it takes to get things done.
- Extremely organized and pay the closest attention to detail.
- Strong familiarity of SQL, R, and other data-centric programming languages.
- Ability and willingness to work at night and on weekends (as necessary).
- Comfortable with e-commerce platforms such as Shopify, Data Studio, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads Manager, Inventory Planner, 3PLs, etc.
- B.S. or MBA degree from a top-tier accredited university.
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting, and experience with sales, gross margin analysis, inventory trends, and expense management strongly preferred.
- BONUS: Speaks Mandarin and/or have worked with manufacturing facilities in China previously.
- Entrepreneurial → Must be able to do job effectively without a lot of oversight; take ownership over projects that you may not have a lot experience in.
- Ability to Manage Up and Down → Ability to demand better performance from team members, while also managing expectation throughout the company.
- Scrappy → Ability to do more with less than others, and rewrite the rule books where you see inefficiency.
- Slightly Paranoid → You should be slightly paranoid and overly conservative when it comes to inventory projections and PO placements, and should strive for 0 stock out days.
- Incredibly Analytical & Great at Excel → You you should feel comfortable crunching numbers, working within Excel, and building out complex forecasting models.
Why Primary Goods?
- Classy and upscale office with unlimited snacks and drinks.
- Early-stage opportunity at a fast growing rocket ship. Be a part of something big.
- Regular team dinners and fun events: you’ll find a strong culture of like-minded people here.
- Performance bonus available every quarter/half for employees that hit goals and exceeds expectations.
- Great career growth opportunity—you’ll have direct access to leadership team 24/7.
About Primary Goods:
Primary Goods is one of the fastest growing e-commerce companies in Los Angeles (we’ve scaled more than 100% consistently over the last few years) with plans to take over the bathroom/bedroom space from stodgy, old companies like Bed Bath and Beyond and Target. Led by a team who has successfully scaled startups in the past, we have no intention of slowing down. We’re all about working hard, but playing harder.